About „Cycling and Remembering ’72“
On September 5, 1972, a terrible massacre took place at the Olympic Games in Munich, in which twelve people – eleven Israeli athletes and one German police officer – were murdered by Palestinian terrorists.
Fifty years later, on September 4, 2022, we want to commemorate the victims of the attack with the big bike tour “Cycling and Remembering ’72”. Together we will set off from Munich to Fürstenfeldbruck, linking both sites of the massacre: the Olympic Village in Munich’s Olympic Park and the air base (“Fliegerhorst”) in Fürstenfeldbruck, where the remaining hostages were murdered.
Remembrance does not have to be static: let us commemorate together in the spirit of the Olympians. No matter if young or old, at a fast or at a slower pace – together we will take a stand against forgetting and encourage enduring collective remembrance at “Cycling and Remembering ’72”.
Starting point of the bicycle tour: Subway station Olympiazentrum, staircase BMW Welt
- ;08:00 to 09:00 a.m.: Admission and arrival of the cyclists
- 5Distribution of t-shirts
- 09:00 to 09:30 a.m.: Speeches
- A09:30 a.m.: Departure of cyclists
- 5The ADFC Munich (Allgemeiner Deutscher Fahrradclub) will be in charge of the route and will guide the cyclists.
- ]approx. 12:30 to 13:00 p.m.: Planned arrival at the Fliegerhorst in Fürstenfeldbruck
- 5According to Jewish custom participants will have the opportunity to lay stones in memory of the victims at the air site Fliegerhorst.
- Rapprox. 13:00 to 14:00 p.m.: End of the event
- 5Independent return to Munich and surroundings.